Estimated Read Time : 5:00
QuickBooks is a widely used accounting software used by small and medium-sized businesses. The main advantage of using the QuickBooks software is that it comes with various unique and advanced features that help the business owners to easily the accounting part of their business. No matter how useful is the accounting software, sometimes it is prone to many technical glitches. One of the common issues is QuickBooks error -6000.
Well, if you are also facing the QuickBooks error -6000, you might be wondering about the solutions you can follow to fix the error. In this blog post, we will cover the troubleshooting steps that can help you fix the error. Let’s discuss the topic in brief.
What is QuickBooks Error Code -6000?
QuickBooks error -6000 arises when the user tries to access the QuickBooks company’s file, but the QuickBooks desktop application fails. This error indicates that you don’t have enough permission to access the company’s files. QuickBooks error code -6000 arises with a pop-up display message as:
Now, let’s move forward and discuss the multiple factors due to why a user may face QuickBooks error -6000.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error -6000
Here is the list of the possible reasons why a user may encounter the QuickBooks error code -6000.
- QuickBooks Transaction Log File (.TLG) is damaged or missing from the system.
- Weak or disrupted internet connection.
- When a different user is already accessing the QuickBooks company file.
- QuickBooks installation files are missing from the system.
- Background active antivirus software prevents the QuickBooks desktop application from accessing the company’s files.
How to Identify QuickBooks Error Code -6000?
Below is the list of signs and factors through which you can easily identify the QuickBooks error code -6000.
- Your PC’s windows is frequently crashing.
- A pop-up display message appears on the screen displaying the error code -6000.
- Unable to launch the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Facing issues in accessing the company’s file.
- The mouse and keyboard are not responding to the new commands.
Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code -6000
Let’s briefly discuss the top tried and tested solutions you can follow to resolve QuickBooks error code -6000.
Solution 1. Access a Sample QuickBooks Company’s File
Opening a sample company file will help you to check if the problem is related to the company’s file or QuickBooks desktop application. If you are also unable to access a sample file, it indicates an issue with the QuickBooks installation, and there is an urgent need to repair the file.
- The initial step is to navigate to the “No Company Open” window and click on the “Open a Sample File” option.
- After that, select your sample company’s file from the list.
If you can access the sample company’s file, the QuickBooks company’s file is damaged. Whereas, if you cannot access this file, then there is an issue with the file. Therefore, you have to repair the files by following the next solution.
Solution 2. Renaming Network Data (.ND) and Transaction Log File (.TLG)
QuickBooks Network Data and Transaction Log Files are the QuickBooks configuration files. These two files help the users to access the QuickBooks files in a multi-user network mode. When any of these files are damaged or corrupted, it might lead to the QuickBooks error code -6000. In that scenario, renaming the files can help you to resolve the error code -6000.
Given below are the steps that you can follow to rename the ND and TLG files in QuickBooks:
- First, navigate to the location where you have saved the QuickBooks company’s files. [Default location of Company’s Files > C:\ Users\ Public\ Public Documents\ Intuit\ QuickBooks\ Company Files.]
- Now, search for the file name ending with the extension as “.ND.”
- After that, right-click on the file name and click on the “Rename” option.
- Thereon, add “.OLD” at the end of the file name. With that, effect the new name of the network data file will be ending as “.ND.OLD.”
- Similarly, you must rename the Transaction Log file from “.TLG” to “.TLG.OLD.”
Once you are done renaming the files, launch the QuickBooks desktop application and verify you can access the QuickBooks company’s files. In case, the error still persists, then jump to the next solution.
Solution 3. Restoring the Backup File
Restoring the backup file and accessing the same can help you to verify if the current company’s file is damaged or corrupted.
Here are the steps you can execute to restore a backup file in the QuickBooks desktop application.
A. Disabling Hosting Mode
- The first step is to open the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Thereon, click on the “File” menu option and then select the “Utilities” option.
- Moving ahead, you have to click on the “Stop Hosting Multi-user Access” option.
- After that, you have twice clicked on the “Yes” option.
B. Check the Company’s File Length
- First of all, navigate to the location, where you QuickBooks company’s files are saved on your PC.
- After that, copy that location from the address bar, and paste it into a notepad.
- Thereon, you have to make sure that the file location length is not exceeding more than 210 characters
- For instance, the default location is C: Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsIntuitQuickBooksSample Company FilesQuickBooks 2018Sample_company_file.qbw, and its length is 125 characters.
C. Once you complete the above steps, try restoring the company’s file.
If you can still access the QuickBooks company’s file, move to the next solution.
Solution 4. Delete All QuickBooks Pending Processes
The next solution you can follow to eliminate the QuickBooks error code -6000 is deleting all the pending application processes. Here are the steps you can follow to delete the pending processes of the QuickBooks desktop application.
- First, log in to the administrator mode on your server system.
- After that, you must press the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys to open the task manager on your PC.
- Thereon, click on the “Users” tab option, and then search for all the pending QuickBooks processes.
- Here, you have to delete all the pending QuickBooks processes, and then try to open the QuickBooks company’s file in the multi-user mode.
If you still face the error, proceed further with the next solution.
Solution 5. Move the File to Desktop
Last but not least solution that you can follow to resolve the QuickBooks error code -6000 is moving the file to the desktop folder.
Below are the steps you can carry out to do the same.
- First, open the windows file explorer on your PC by pressing the (Ctrl + E) keys together.
- Moving ahead, you have to click on the “This PC” option.
- Afterward, type “.qbw” in the search field and press the enter button.
- Once your QuickBooks company’s file appears on the list, click on it and copy it by pressing the “Ctrl +C” keys together.
- Now, go back to the desktop screen, click on the free space, and press the “Ctrl + V” keys together to paste it.
- After you have moved the QuickBooks company’s file, press the Ctrl key and double-click on the “QuickBooks Desktop” icon, which will prompt you to the No Company open Window.
- Moving ahead, you have to click on the “Open a company file” option and click on the “Next” option.
- Then, navigate to the desktop screen, and select your copied file.
- At last, click on the “OK” option to end this process.
Once you perform all the steps mentioned above, the QuickBooks error code -6000 will be eliminated at this stage.
As demonstrated above, in this blog post, we have covered five different tried and tested solutions that you can execute to terminate the QuickBooks error code -6000. If you are still troubled with the error, then you connect with our professional QuickBooks experts. Our experts are available 24*7 around the clock to provide a feasible solution for your query in no time.
Connect now with our experts through the chat box or via email .