Estimated Read Time : 5:00
This article explain easiest to methods to Fix Firefox XPCOM Error. It does not matter which Windows-based system you are using; many users may encounter with the Firefox unable to load XPCOM error. Normally, the user may encounter this type of error after updating the windows. The corrupt Dynamic Link Library file (DLL) or the missing link causes this error. As these files are crucial, the unavailability of these files ends up resulting in the error. Firefox Could Not Load XPCOM error is the most common type of error that is faced by users when opening Firefox in Windows.
An Overview of Firefox XPCOM Error
If you, too, are facing the same problem and looking for an effective solution, this blog is means for you. In this blog, we will try to explain the causes of the XPCOM Loading error and the different types of solutions used to resolve the problem. Keep reading and choose the accurate solution for your problem.
What Does the Error Message Mean?
When you are trying to open Firefox, and it cannot open, it will display the error message “Could not load XPCOM.”
What are the Causes of XPCOM Loading Error?
XPCOM is a cross-platform component object model by Mozilla that is necessary to run Firefox. Without it, the browser could not function properly, and you might get frustrated because you can not use it. There may be numerous reasons for the occurrence of errors; however, some of the technical reasons are mentioned below:
Corrupted XPCOM Components
This type of error occurred when the XPCOM components were corrupted, or you were still using the outdated version.
Corrupted Firefox Installation
If the user is installing Firefox and it gets corrupted during the installation process, then the user will face such type of error.
Virus or Malware Attack
If your system gets infected by the virus or malware attacks your system, then the XPCOM components will get damaged, which results in an XPCOM error.
Incorrect Firefox Profile
The incorrect Firefox profile will not allow the XPCOM components to load properly resulting in the error.
A Problem in Windows Registry
If a problem occurs during the registry of the Windows, then the XPCOM components can not be loaded properly and therefore resulting in such types of errors.
Conflict with Other Software
If there is a conflict between the other software or extensions and Firefox, it will end up in an XPCOM error.
What are the Types of XPCOM Errors?
The user may encounter various types of XPCOM errors. In order to pick the right solution for your problem, you must identify the problem first. Some of the common XPCOM errors are as follows:
- Firefox Unable to Load XPCOM: This error occurs due to the failed update.
- Xulrunner could not load XPCOM: This XPCOM error occurs on Mac
- Firefox Could Not Load XPCOM Windows 10: Same as Other Firefox Error Message.
- Could not load XPCOM: The XPCOM is missing.
- Could not Load Firefox portable: Same as of full version.
- Could not Load XPCOM Windows 10: This is similar to the first message.
What are the Solutions to Firefox XPCOM Error?
There are various solutions to Fix Firefox XPCOM error. You can opt for any of the methods to resolve your problem.
Method 1: Upgrade the Firefox
If you are using the older version, you can upgrade it to the latest version. Just open another browser like Chrome or Internet Explorer, and download the latest version of Firefox. You need not to uninstall the older version. Just run the Firefox installer and follow the on-screen instructions to upgrade or repair the current application.
Method 2: Disable the Firefox Extensions and Start the Firefox in Safe Mode
You can start Firefox in safe mode. Just follow the below-mentioned steps to complete the procedure.
- Press the Shift Key and right-click on the application to start the application.
- Pick “Start in Safe Mode” Mode.
- If the application starts without showing any XPCOM error message, it may need the Firefox extensions that are creating the problem. If this is the case, disable each ad one by one and start the application normally.
- If Firefox starts without showing any error message, again go back into “Start in Safe Mode” and enable each add-on to find the problem. You have to restart the application again after enabling each add-on. It is a time-consuming process.
- Once you have found the add-on creating the problem, remove it completely (by starting Firefox in Safe Mode).
If the problem persists, move to the third solution.
Method 3: Reset Firefox Settings to Default
To reset the firewall settings to default, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open Firefox in Safe Mode and choose the “Refresh Firefox” Option. It will refresh Firefox.
- After refreshing Firefox, the browser settings will be set to default. It will remove all the extensions and plug-ins.
- However, the refresh does not remove the passwords, browsing history, cookies, personal dictionary, auto-filled information, and bookmarks.
Method 4: Uninstall and Reinstall Firefox again
If none of the above-mentioned works for you, then you can uninstall and reinstall Firefox again. Before uninstalling Firefox, please keep in mind the below-mentioned points:
- Create a Backup of your passwords, bookmarks, or any important thing.
- Before downloading the new version, completely remove the Firefox folder from the system.
- Download and install the new Firefox again.
- Restore your important data.
Method 5: Restore To An Earlier Working State of Your System by Using System Restore
Try to restore your system to an earlier working state to Fix Firefox XPCOM error. The system will undo any of the changes in the system in the last few days. Search for how to restore the windows (Version). There are various articles available. Pick anyone and follow the instructions that are provided to restore the windows to their previous state.
Method 6: Move to Another Browser
If you have tried everything and the problem still continues, then it is high time to remove Firefox completely and move to a new browser.
We hope that this article resolves your query. We have tried our best to provide the solutions to unable to load XPCOM error. If you are looking for more informative blogs, read our other blogs. Stay connected, stay updated.