Estimated Read Time : 5:00
Are you looking for a way to print W2 in QuickBooks? You can get help here.
It doesn’t matter if your business is running on a non-calendar fiscal year; you still have to do a number of things in January. One of them is filing of W2 form; one must have to fill out the W2 form before the end of January. You almost have a month to review if they are correct, print them and if needed, then get them to the people who have done your work. But this process will be even easier if you have QuickBooks Online to manage your accounting details. So let’s understand more about it by reading this blog.
Worrying about how to print W2 in QuickBooks? Call the QuickBooks professionals at +1-855-362-0770, and get Quick assistance.
Print W2 in QuickBooks: Description
Before going further with the steps to print the W2 form, let’s understand a bit about the W2 tax form.
A W-2 form is a Tax & Wage statement form. It shows all the important information related to income users have earned from their employers, taxes they need to pay, and the profit and loss of a whole year. It is a document sent by the employer to all his employees and IRS at the year’s end.
Users can use this form to file state or federal taxes.
Why attach a W-2 tax form?
When you are giving your payslip to the employees, it is very important to attach a W-2 form. The process happens at the end of every fiscal year and gives you authority over the amount that has been deducted from your return. This form will also help you understand the tax deduction process from your payslip.
Preconditions for Printing W-2 Forms in QuickBooks Desktop
There are various preconditions that you just need to fulfill before going further with the printing of W-2 forms in QuickBooks, which include:
- Your printer must work properly.
- Check your Subscription to the Quickbooks payroll; it must be active.
- Set your printer driver properly.
- Review if your QuickBooks Payroll version is compatible with the W-2 form.
- Your printer must have Blank ink for printing W- form on a QuickBooks desktop.
- Make sure that your device has the latest version of the Payroll tax table.
Review the Payroll Services
One more thing that you must need to verify before starting the process of printing W2 forms in QuickBooks is checking the version of the QuickBooks payroll you are using, as the instructions for every version vary a bit.
To do so, follow the given steps :
- To initiate the process, you have to Sign in to Quickbooks Online.
- After that, move to the Settings option and choose the Accounts & Settings tab.
- Next, Click on the Billing Subscription and Payroll option.
- Now, select the Plan details tab to learn about the payroll plan you are using.
- Verify that it is showing. Suppose it is showing as Enhanced or basic; it shows that you have QuickBooks self-service payroll.
However, if it is showing as Full-Service payroll, then your system has a Full-Service payroll version.
How to print w2 in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks offers different versions for different types of users. They have QuickBooks Online payroll, QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted, QuickBooks Desktop payroll basics, and QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced and standard.
The steps to print the W2 tax form varies according to the version of QuickBooks you are using. Below we have mentioned steps to print W2 using QuickBooks Online Payroll.
Steps to Follow to print W2 using QuickBooks Online Payroll
To print the W-2 in QuickBooks, you don’t have to hassle a lot, as the steps are simple and easy to follow, but before going for the steps, you have to make a decision first. You have to choose whether you want to pay and file your state and federal payroll taxes by yourself or you want QuickBooks to do it instead of you.
Once you set your mind, then we can start the process.
There are two different ways to Print the W-2 Form in QuickBooks payroll, which solely depends upon the version of QuickBooks payroll update you are using and the services you are getting.
1. When QuickBooks Pays and File your taxes, to help you.
2. When you pay, File the taxes by yourself.
Type 1: When QuickBooks Pays and Files taxes for you.
If you have a payroll version that offers all these services, then you are all good to go, as you don’t need to worry even a bit about completing the filling process. Verify if you have any of the mentioned QB services, then Intuit will do everything for you:
- QuickBooks Online Payroll Elite, QuickBooks Online Payroll Core, QuickBooks Online Payroll Premium,
- QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Services
- Intuit Online Payroll Full Services.
The Intuit team sends an email to all your employees on the W-2 from January 20 to January 31. Although you also have the option to receive it from January 13, you have to re-print it on that plain paper.
You can follow the given instructions to do so:
- Initially, Launch QuickBooks Online and then move towards the Taxes option.
- Click on the Payroll Tax tab and then Filling and Annual Forms.
- Next, you have to choose if you want to print both employer and employee copies of your W-2S and W-3 or if you want a single one.
- Employees Copy: Form W-2 (W-2, Copies B,C & 2).
- Employer Copy: Form W-2 (W-2, Copies A & D), Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements (W-3).
However, if you have not decided on your W-2 printing preferences up till this step, then a new window will appear on your screen saying “Before filing the form, your need to set up W-2 printing”
- Hit on it and choose your paper.
- Now, choose the filing period from the given drop-down menu.
- Thereafter, launch Adobe reader in a new tab and select the View tab.
- Click on the Print icon available on the Reader Toolbar.
- At last, select the Print tab again.
Important: If the employees didn’t have the original W-2 or lost it due to some reason, then re-print the form again.
Type 2: When you pay or File the taxes by yourself
Now, if you have decided to complete the process by yourself, then you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Buy W-2 Paper
We will recommend you purchase your W-2 Kits from Intuit. Follow the mentioned steps to do so:
- Initiate the Process by going to QuickBooks Check and supplies and clicking on Tax Products.
- Thereafter, select the Blank W-2 kits.
- Now to purchase the W-2 paper, follow the given instructions that are present on your screen.
- Print, the employees, set on:
- Blank 3 – Part Perforated Paper
- Blank 4 – Part Perforated Paper
Now set the printing preference according to requirements.
Step 2: Configure your Printing Preference
- State the Process by moving toward the Setting option
- Now, Click on the payroll settings option.
- Next, choose the paper type and hit on the Ok option.
- Now, print the W-2 tax form.
Step 3: Print the Filed W-2 Tax Forms in QuickBooks
Note: To file and pay the tax, you have to print W-2 from January 1 itself.
- Click on Taxes and then go to Payroll Tax.
- Thereafter, hit on the Fillings tab and choose Annual Forms.
- Here, you have the option to print copies for both the employer and employees of your W-2s and W-3.
- Employees Copies: Form W-2 (W-2, Copies B, C & 2)
- Employer Copies: Form W-2 (W-2, Copies A & D), Transmittal of Wage & Tax Statements (W-3)
- A new window will appear on the screen if you haven’t set your print preference, that says
Before filling out this form, set up W-2 printing.
- Next, check the drop-down menu and select Filing Period
- Thereafter, Open the Adobe Reader by Hitting the View tab.
- Now, choose the print icon present on the Reader Toolbar.
- At last, click on the Print option again.
Here you are done with printing Your W-2 tax form in QuickBooks.
By following the above Process, you can print W2 in QuickBooks Payroll update, very easily. However, if you are still confused, and don’t know what to do next, then you can consult our QuickBooks professionals and ask them to fix your Query. These experts are available all around the globe, and you can consult them at any time of the day. So, email your Queries or use the Live chat option.