Estimated Read Time : 5:00
QuickBooks error 12031 is a common issue in the program that can take place when updating the QuickBooks payroll service or the program itself. The error mainly occurs due to a network timeout. When using the program, getting error code 12031 can take you to your wit’s end. Multiple other issues can also promote this error and you may not be able to run the program smoothly. You need to verify the configuration of the PC and Firewall to keep the error at bay. Reading this post until the end can bless you with the best solutions to eradicate QuickBooks error 12031.
Looking for someone to help you with error code 12031? Experts are just a call away .
QuickBooks Error 12031 Overview
Updating QuickBooks is crucial to keep the program error-free. Besides updating the program enables users to reap the benefits of the program’s enhanced features. However, when updating the software, you may get an error message on your screen that reads-
Error 12031: A network timeout that is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.
The error occurs when QuickBooks fails to connect to the server in order to download the updates. Windows Firewall blocking QuickBooks from connecting to the server is one of the main reasons why you fail to update QuickBooks. You need to fix the factors promoting the error to get rid of the problem.
What Are The Possible Reasons Behind The QuickBooks Error Message 12031?
Identifying and listing the possible reasons is the first step that needs to be done in order to eliminate the QuickBooks update error 12031. Some of the main reasons behind the error code are stated in the below-given bulleted list:
- Your Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks from connecting to the server.
- A weak or unstable Internet connection is also one of the possible reasons behind the error.
- It could be a third-party security application that can give birth to the QuickBooks Payroll update error 12031.
- Inappropriate SSL settings can trigger the error code 12031 in QuickBooks.
Fixing the listed factors can be the best escape from the error so that you can update QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll service.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Update Error Message 12031
Not just the possible causes, but also the symptoms of the error you need to keep into your consideration before troubleshooting the error. Check the following list:
- An error message with the code 12031 will show up on your screen.
- You may not be able to proceed further with/accomplish an ongoing task.
- All your efforts to update QuickBooks Desktop or the Payroll service will go in vain.
- Sluggish performance of the Windows OS or QuickBooks software.
Things To Consider In Your Mind Before You Run The Troubleshooting
Before you start troubleshooting for QuickBooks error 12031, you need to keep a few important points in your mind. Below are the points:
- Verify if QuickBooks is running with the latest update or not.
- Make sure that the Windows OS is compatible with the program and is also up to date.
- Your Internet connection is strong enough to download a program update.
- Make sure that QuickBooks software is running with full compatibility.
- Create a backup of your QuickBooks company file to save it from any loss or disruption.
Troubleshooting Solutions For QuickBooks Update 12031
After having everything in mind, we can now proceed further and implement some relevant solutions to troubleshoot the error. Let’s begin!
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks To The Latest Maintenance Release
Follow these steps to download the latest patch of QuickBooks software manually:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop software in the first place.
- Now in the Help menu, click the Update QuickBooks option.
- After that, click Check for the Update option.
- If you see an update available, Get an Update.
- Once the update is downloaded, click QuickBooks and open it again.
- You will not be prompted to install the downloaded update, click the Yes button.
- After updating the program, check if the QuickBooks error 12031 is resolved or not. If the error continues, move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Update QuickBooks In Safe Mode Free From Hindrances
Programs running in the background can interfere with the update process, thereby obstructing it. In such a case, running the update in Safe Mode can prevent the process from undesired obstructions. Below are the steps:
- Open Runbox by pressing Windows & R keys together.
- When the Run box opens, type Msconfig in it.
- Moving ahead, click Enter button.
- When on the Windows System Configuration window, go to the Boot tab.
- Now move to the Boot Options.
- Here, you need to unmark the checkbox for the Safe Boot option.
- Click Apply button and it will implement all your changes.
- Now press the OK button to close this window.
- Reboot your computer and refresh all the changes.
- When the system starts in Safe Mode, run the QuickBooks update process to accomplish it.
Check if you are able to update the program using this method. If not, try the next one.
Solution 3: Configure Windows Firewall Settings For The Error Resolution
If your Windows Firewall is stopping QuickBooks from connecting to the server, you can configure the Firewall by implementing the below-explained steps:
- In your Windows computer, use the Start menu search field to locate Firewall.
- Just type Firewall in the given area and locate it from the result list.
- Once located, click on Windows Firewall to open it.
- Now click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall. Alternatively, you may click on Allow an App or Feature through the Windows Firewall option.
- When the next Window opens up, select the Change Settings option.
- Checkmark the box against the application you wish to allow.
- You may perform this task based on a Private or Public network.
- Once done, try updating the QuickBooks application and verify the status of QuickBooks error 12031.
Solution 4: Perform Internet Connection Setup
Updating QuickBooks requires a proper Internet connection setup. Check how to do it:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop software on your computer in the first place.
- Next, click on the Help menu option.
- Moving ahead, choose the Internet Connection Setup from the given options.
- Thereafter, click on the Use My Computer’s Internet Connection Settings.
- Hit the Next button to proceed.
- Now click Done and try updating QuickBooks once again.
With an updated version of the QuickBooks application, you can make the most out of your accounting software.
QuickBooks is an excellent accounting software that works at its best when updated on a regular basis. However, when updating the program, you may see an error code 12031 on your screen. This post has listed some effective troubleshooting solutions that can eliminate this error. On having technical unease when performing these solutions, you may rely on our experienced QuickBooks professionals. To reach them, you can use our chat or email help options.