Estimated Read Time : 5:00
Having trouble while using a Roku device, well, a lot of reasons can be there due to Roku not working properly. Common issues can be connection issues, unresponsive remote control, or just the device has simply hanged/freezing and working playing anything.
An Overview of Roku Device Not Working
While some issues can be troubleshot by the users by themselves but for some, you need to contact Roku Customer services. Here we will discuss some common causes due to Roku not working properly, along with some measures that you can take to fix them. Roku is among the Top Brands in the states which offer digital media devices.
Users with a Roku device can play any offline digital media they have with them, or they can stream online on various OTT platforms. Any issues with the Roku device at the last moment can disrupt the whole weekend schedule of any series lover or cinephile. In that case, you should be able to troubleshoot the Roku device issue. Read the article further to learn some basic troubleshooting for Roku Devices.
Common Issues faced by the user while using Roku Devices.
Following are the various causes due to which your Roku not working properly
Power Issues or Connectivity Problems
One of the major causes of Roku devices or Roku remote not working is dead batteries. Apart from that, another major cause is the signal that the device is receiving from the router might be blocked. To fix that, you need to change the batteries and also fix the router or the device at a favorable position in order for the device to receive the signal without any hinder.
Roku Device Might Have been Heated Up
Sometimes when you are using the device for a long time without any break, your device may get heated up and become unresponsive. Thus you need to switch off your device at regular intervals. Also, running the Roku device continuously might permanently damage it.
Other Technical Issues like Audio/Video Settings
Following are some technical issues which you face while using Roku Device:
- You have not updated the Roku device software. Because of this, it is not functioning properly.
- Common problems when you play Roku devices like audio and video improper synchronization.
- An issue with the Wi-Fi router settings.
- Video quality could be better, even with a strong internet connection.
- Some of the streaming apps which are available under Roku devices are playing.
- Problems while playing 4k video with a Roku device.
How to fix Roku Device when not working properly
Various troubleshooting measures can be taken in order to fix Roku Device. Some of them are listed below:
Adjust the Wi-Fi to properly connect it with the Roku Device
You need to adjust the Router in a favorable position so that the signal is not blocked while connecting with the Roku device. Apart from that, in the case of low signal, you can reset the Wifi router or disconnect other devices in order for the Roku device to receive the full bandwidth.
Try to Reconnect your Roku Device with Router Again
Before you try, you need to check first whether your internet connection is active or not. For that, you need to follow the given steps:
- Start your Roku Device, and on the screen, navigate to the settings from the side menu. You need to press the left on the remote.
- Now, in the settings, you need to go to the Network page. There, go to the “About” section.
- On the About page, you can get your network connection details like IP Address, Mac Address Details, signal strength, wireless channel status, and downloading speed. You need to check here whether the internet connection is active or not.
In case you are not connected to the internet, then follow the given steps:
- On the Roku home screen, open the settings from the left-hand menu.
- From the settings, go to the network page. There, you can find the option “Set up Connection.”
- Select “Set up connection” and then wireless, and afterward, OK.
- Make sure that your wireless router is in range. Once detected, it will be shown in the list of available devices.
- Select it and fill out the credentials and then select OK.
Update the Roku Software
Sometimes the Roku not working properly due to the software not being updated on it. In order to update your Roku Software, you need to follow the given steps:
- Open your device, and then on the home page, navigate to the settings.
- In the settings, choose System and then System Update.
- Select “Check Now” in order to look out for any pending updates.
- In case of any pending update, it will automatically start working on it.
Restart the Roku Device, or Factory Reset the Roku Settings Again
This is the first precautionary measure to restore the Roku device which is not working properly, for which you need to follow the given steps:
- Open settings from the Roku homepage.
- In the settings from the left-hand side of the page, you find the option “System Restart” and then select “Restart.”
- Now press OK, which will restart the system.
In case restarting the Roku device does not work, then you need to reset the factory settings.
Following are the Steps which can Help you to Reset Roku Device Settings:
- You need to open settings in your Roku Device to start the factory reset.
- Now in the settings, select Advanced System Settings.
- There you can find the Factory Reset option. Click on “Factory Reset Everything”
- Enter the device code to authenticate and press OK to start the factory reset.
How to Fix the “Roku Remote Not Working” Issue
Sometimes it is not the player who is not functioning properly, it is the remote device. In troubleshooting your Roku remote, you need to take the following steps:
Check for the Remote Batteries
This is the very first and basic step to do when your Roku device is not working properly. Check for the batteries to see if they are working or not, and in case not, then change them immediately. In case the batteries are corrosive, then you need to clean the Remote device and then change the batteries.
Adjust the Position of Your Roku Device
Because of the comfort issues, you might be using Roku Remote from a position where it is not reachable to the player device. To fix that, either you need to change the position of the device or change your position.
Remove any Headphones from the Roku Device or Remote
This is a commonly noted issue where you are unable to use a Roku device when the remote get connected to the headphone. Although any particular cause, disconnecting the headphone with the remote sometimes troubleshoot the issues. First, you need to unplug the cord, and after that, wait for 30 seconds. Now remove the batteries, and after that, try to run the device again.
Use an HDMI Extender in Case you are Using a Roku Stick
A user using a Roku stick can face issues with their Roku device due to interference as they need to connect the Roku Stick to the HDMI port. To resolve this issue, you need to use an HDMI extender.
Instead of Remote, Opt for Roku Virtual App
In case you are still unable to fix your Roku Remote problems, you can download and install the Roku Virtual app through which you can control your Roku device even from a great distance.
Roku Customer Support
In case you are unable to troubleshoot your Roku device by yourself, you can contact Roku’s official customer support services from the official Roku support page. There you need to select the device you are using. After that, you can contact Roku customer support through the calling process or the live chat. Apart from contacting the support agent, you can check out various troubleshooting blog which provides enough information on common Roku Device issues.
You can also reach out to us in case you are facing any delays or unable to reach the official Roku support agent. Our technical team is available 24/7 to assist you with any issue you are dealing with Roku device or any other online service you have.
Wrapping it Up
In the above discussion, we have provided you with all the possible causes of why your Roku device is not working properly and how you can troubleshoot some common issues. In case you have any doubts or queries, you can reach out to us from the number given below or the live chat option. Just mention your query, and our support agent will provide the desired solution in the minimum time possible.