Estimated Read Time : 5:00
Accounting management is one of the more crucial tasks for a business. There are millions of business owners and contractors in the world who rely on QuickBooks for managing their business accounting processes. Installing QuickBooks on their devices, they can streamline the major competencies of their accounting processes. However, QuickBooks is software, and errors are an integral part of the QuickBooks experience. One such error is when QuickBooks won’t start. When this error occurs, users can not use their accounting software. Therefore, it is crucial to resolve this error so that users can get back to their routine tasks managed by QuickBooks. In this post, we will discuss QuickBooks won’t open company files in detail.
Possible reasons behind QuickBooks Won’t Open In Windows 10
If you are unable to open QuickBooks Desktop software, any of the below-given reasons can be responsible for the error:
- When the characters in the company file name exceed the maximum limit.
- A broken or corrupt QBWUSER.INI file can prevent you from opening the program.
- Hard drive issues can also give rise to the error.
- If you are using a damaged Windows operating system, be ready to face the error.
- The erroneous installation of the QuickBooks application is one of the main reasons behind the “unable to open QuickBooks” error.
- Accidental deletion of the essential files in QuickBooks.
- Corruption in the QuickBooks data file or incorrect program installation.
What Are The Observable Signs When the QuickBooks Won’t Open Error Occurs?
If you are unable to open the data file in the program or QuickBooks itself, below are some of the common signs that you will see on your machine:
- QuickBooks Desktop software starts freezing every now and then.
- You may not be able to access your data file.
- Windows operating system runs sluggishly, depicting that there is some problem with the program.
- The computer screen hangs and stops responding to the mouse or keyboard.
- An active program window crashes when the problem takes place.
How To Conquer “QuickBooks 2021 Won’t Open” Problem?
The QuickBooks won’t open issues can take place due to multiple factors, and you need to tackle them in order to start using your accounting software back. Below are the solutions for you:
Solution 1: Restart Your Desktop
If you are facing any technical issue with your Desktop, restarting the Desktop can resolve the problem in most cases. So, before you proceed any further and try out the complex solutions, restart your Desktop to resolve the issue. If it does not resolve the error, try performing the next solution.
Solution 2: Shut Down The QBW32.exe Process
QBW32.EXE means QuickBooks by Windows for 32-bit. Besides, .EXE is an executable file, which can sometimes harm your computer. In such a case, you need to shut it down in order to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Won’t Open In Windows 10 issue. Below are the steps:
- Go to the Task Manager. Pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together will help.
- Next, you need to find and select the QBW32.exe process in the Task Manager.
- Thereafter, click End Process at the bottom of the screen.
- QuickBooks will now close; restart it to conclude the procedure.
Try to open QuickBooks and if the error continues, try the next solution.
Solution 3: Utilize QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
If QuickBooks doesn’t start issue continues, you need to check if there is an issue with the QuickBooks installation of your company file. QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is an important utility in the program that can determine and resolve the issues with the Microsoft components essential for a smooth QuickBooks installation. To run:
- Go to Intuit’s official website and then download QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the downloaded file on your Desktop for its easy access.
- Now open the folder having the setup file and double-click on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Once the tool is installed, open it.
- After opening the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Installation issues.
- You may now select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and let it run.
- It may take some time based on the size of the file.
- Once done, restart your computer and check if the error is fixed or not.
Read Also – How to Reset QuickBooks Administrator Password?
Solution 4: Rename The QBWUSER.ini File
As we have already discussed that a damaged QBWUSER.ini file can bring forth a problem when opening QuickBooks software. In such a case, renaming the file can help in the error resolution:
- Navigate to the location of the QuickBooks company file folder located in the C drive.
- In the same folder, you need to find and right-click the QBWUSER.ini file. It will open a drop-down list wherein you need to choose Rename.
- Thereafter, add .OLD at the end of the file name and click Enter to save the changes.
- In the end, open QuickBooks again and check the error status.
If this method doesn’t resolve your problem, try the next one.
Solution 5: Suppress QuickBooks Installation
To run QuickBooks Desktop, you need to install the program on your PC. However, if the program is not properly installed on your computer, you can suppress the erroneous installation by following the below-given steps:
- Download the QuickBooks installation file from Intuit’s official site in the first place.
- Then right-click on the file from the location you have saved it and select Properties.
- Now in the Compatibility tab, mark the checkbox against Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Select your Windows version from the drop-down list and click OK.
- Now double-click on the QuickBooks Installation file, and it will install the program devoid of the errors.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop software once the steps are done.
This solution can resolve QuickBooks won’t open error. However, if the reasons behind the error are different, you need to try more solutions to resolve the persisting error.
Read Also – Where is the Gear Icon in QuickBooks?
Solution 6: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Software
If you are unable to open QuickBooks software, it is possible that the program is damaged and needs to get repaired. Before you proceed any further, make sure that QuickBooks is closed on all the workstations. Below are the steps that can cure a damaged QuickBooks software:
- First thing first, right-click Taskbar and click Task Manager.
- Now on the Processes tab, select the QuickBooks Process.
- If the QuickBooks is running in a multi-user environment and more than one user is logged in, end all the processes excluding QBW32.exe and QBCFMonitorService.exe. They help the program run in multi-user mode.
- Now open QuickBooks and click the Repair QuickBooks option.
Solution 7: Fix The Insufficient Admin Right Issue
When installing QuickBooks, make sure that it is installed with full administrative privileges. Therefore, when installing the software, do it with full admin rights. In such a case, you need to create a new Windows admin user and follow the below-given steps:
- Create a new Windows admin user and log into that account using admin login credentials.
- Now download and install QuickBooks from its official website using the newly created Windows user account.
- After the successful installation of the program, open QuickBooks and try to open the QuickBooks company file.
If you are able to open the file, it means the error is resolved. If not, your quest is still not fulfilled. Try the next solution.
Solution 8: Run Quick Fix My Program Using QuickBooks Tool Hub
A smooth installation of the QuickBooks software requires a few essential components. However, if the program is installed with damaged components, it needs some fixation in such a case. Below is how you will fix it:
- In the first step, you will have to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s official website.
- Next, install the tool by following the instructions given on the screen.
- Once installed, open it.
- Now from within the QuickBooks Tool Hub, click the Program Problem tabs.
- Now hit Quick Fix My Program, and it will resolve the QuickBooks program issues.
If the QuickBooks Won’t Open issue still persists, move to the next solution.
Solution 9: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a crucial utility in the program required for establishing communication between QuickBooks and the company file located on the server. If this service is not running, QuickBooks won’t open error can crop up on your screen. To restart the service:
- Open the Run window in the first place (Windows + R).
- Now in the run box, type services.msc and click OK.
- When the list of the services opens, locate and double-click on QuickBooks Database Manager Service.
- Hit the Stop button, and it will stop the service.
People Also ask –
QuickBooks not responding when opening
QuickBooks won’t open after update
Why is my QuickBooks not opening
QuickBooks Not responding when opening company file
QuickBooks Not opening company file
Frequently Asked Questions
After updating Windows 10, you may experience that the QuickBooks company file is not opening after the update. There are several issues behind this error, which may include an issue with the Windows installation. Besides, after updating Windows 10, you may also experience some compatibility of the program with Windows. Furthermore, incompatibility with the Internet settings can also bring forth the error of crashing QuickBooks software.
When you select the QuickBooks icon to open the program, give it some time to open. If you select it multiple times, it won’t open; therefore, allow it some time to load before you continue. Besides, use an updated version of the QuickBooks software. Make sure that all the essential services are running in QuickBooks. If the error occurs, you can get in touch with the QuickBooks experts to get the problem fixed.
QuickBooks company file is the primary file in the program that stores all your crucial data in the program. Users sometimes face difficulties in opening their QuickBooks company file due to multiple reasons. Error code series 6000 mainly covers these issues. All the error codes that belong to this series depict the same error, which is unable to open the company file. However, the reasons can vary from one error code to other in this series. Moreover, if you are having issues in opening the QuickBooks company file in a multi-user environment, you will encounter “H Series” error codes, such as QuickBooks error H202, H303, H505, and several others.
QuickBooks Online offers greater flexibility to the users to manage their business accounting even on the go. However, users may get issues when logging into their QuickBooks Online accounts due to various reasons, such as incorrect login credentials, faulty Internet browsers, and several others. Reset your forgotten QuickBooks Online password and try to log into your account again to check if you can get into your account or not.
If QuickBooks Desktop for Mac won’t load the file, it means there can be some compatibility issue between your company file and an early version of the QuickBooks Desktop Mac software. It can evoke the issues, such as program crashes or won’t loading. In such a case, you need to download and install the latest updates for your accounting application. Check if a new update is available for the program. If yes, download it.
QuickBooks Data service is crucial; however, if you are unable to start it, get in touch with our experienced professionals well-versed in offering desired help when QuickBooks users need them badly. Discuss the error further with the professionals once you are connected with them using our chat or email channels. They make an assessment of the error and then troubleshoot it with all the important considerations in their mind to prevent any data disruption or other hassles.