Estimated Read Time : 5:00
Software and errors go hand in hand. QuickBooks is one such error that throws certain errors like QuickBooks Error H101. While using QuickBooks, users may end up with several issues. You might, at times, get stuck with different error codes. Error H101 is one such error code that users frequently encounter. You may see this error while trying to locate a company file that is located on another system rather than the device that you are using. Another reason for this particular error could be your switching from the single-user mode to the multi-user mode. In this blog, we shall discuss the reasons that could trigger this error and also talk about the different troubleshooting methods that can be effective while resolving this particular issue. Read on till the end to know all about it.
Reasons that could trigger QuickBooks error H101
Below are all the possible reasons that could trigger the QuickBooks Error H101. Let us list them:
- Incorrect setup of the .ND files which restricts you from opening the company file in a network.
- System is not able to connect with the server
- Corrupt or improper file configuration
- User is not able to access the company file from the server
- Antivirus Software or the firewall settings obstruct the access of the company files
- QuickBooks application is not able to access the Internet Protocol address of the computer system
- The settings of the host computer as well as the DNS are not correct
- The user has not started the QuickBooks services such as the QBFC monitor.
- Wrong or incorrect installation is another reason
Before you start troubleshooting the H101 error in QuickBooks, you need to consider the points mentioned below.
Also Read: How Can I Fix the “QuickBooks Won’t Open” Error
Points to keep in mind while fixing the Error H101 in QuickBooks
- You need to make sure that the QuickBooks you have installed is on the server computer
- If you have not installed the QuickBooks application on the server, you will not be able to access the multi-user environment
- If needed, you should download the QuickBooks software from the Intuit’s official website.
How to fix QuickBooks multi-user Error H101?
Now that you know what the reasons that could lead to the Quickbooks Desktop Error H101 are, you can start following the troubleshooting methods as mentioned below:
Solution 1: Check the Hosting & QuickBooks services on the server
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks accounting software in the system
- Thereafter, choose the utility option from the File menu
- Subsequently, choose the “hosting multi-user access” option
Solution 2: Make a new folder for QuickBooks company files
- A new folder for the company files can be created and then shared amongst the hosting computers
- Thereafter, you need to setup the windows to be allowed entry for sharing the company files.
- Consequently, copy the files with .QBW file extension into a new folder
- It will allow you to know whether your company files are opening in multi-user mode or not.
Also Read: Where is the Gear Icon in QuickBooks
Solution 3: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
For running the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, you will need to go ahead and download and then install the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Follow the steps given below to run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub by double-clicking on the QuickBooks Tool Hub desktop icon
- Thereafter, click on the Network issues tab
- Subsequently, choose the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- If you are able to see the correct company file location, then you can click on the Start Scan.
- Consequently, QuickBooks Database Server Manager will start repairing the firewall and will allow you to access all the workstations
- After you are done with the repair, click on the Close option
- Thereafter, open QuickBooks Desktop to see if the issue has been resolved
- Lastly, navigate to the file menu and then select the Switch to Multi-User mode
Read Also – QuickBooks Error H202
Solution 4: Change the location of the company file to a different place
Changing the location of the company file changes the path through which QuickBooks accesses the company file. This also refreshes the file altogether.
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks application wherever it is currently running
- Thereafter, right-click on the desktop screen and choose the New Folder option
- Open a “Test” folder
- Subsequently, click on the Windows icon and then fill in Windows Explorer in the search panel
- From the list of programs, click on the Windows Explorer tab
- In the subsequent window, go to the folder in which the QuickBooks files are stored
- Look for the file with the .QBW extension as it is the company file
- Right-click on it and then choose the Copy option
- Access the test folder, right-click on it and then choose the Paste option
- Lastly, open the QuickBooks application
- From the file menu, choose the “Open or Restore Company” option and then “Open a Company” option.
- Select the file that you pasted in the Test folder and then hit Open. This should resolve the error.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error 103
Solution 5: Impair the multi-user access on the workstations and then allow it on your server
- On one of the workstations, launch the QuickBooks but not the company file
- Thereafter, press the file tab and then click on the Utilities option.
- If it displays the “Host multi-user access” option in the menu, then do not select it, instead, move on to the next workstation.
- Should it display the “Stop Hosting multi-user access” option, then choose it right away
- Repeat these steps on all the workstations that are encountering this particular error.
- Thereafter, you need to access the Server computer and then check the hosting settings there.
- After that, go to QuickBooks Desktop, tap on the file button and then start hovering over the Utilities option.
- Again, if you see “Stop Hosting multi-user access” option in the menu, then skip it . At the same time, if you see “Host multi-user access” option appear in the menu, then you should select this option.
A host of reasons are responsible for QuickBooks Error H101, amongst which the improper host settings is the most significant one. Also, to rectify every reason, you would need a completely opposite solution. Like, for instance, to rectify the improper hosting settings, you would need to alter the hosting settings.
We would now conclude the blog on QuickBooks error code H101. We hope that it has helped you in some way to resolve the situation you are facing. If you feel stuck anywhere in your troubleshooting process, you can reach out to us for support on any QuickBooks issue. Feel free to use the chat button or send us a mail .
Also Read: Fix QuickBooks POS Database Server not Found Issue
Frequently Asked Questions
When QuickBooks Desktop is trying to establish a connection with the company file but is not able to make the communication with the server. This error could occur because of a number of reasons. Incorrect Hosting configuration settings could be one of them. Another could be a firewall blocking the incoming as well as outgoing communications.
The following steps can help you in this:
1.) Firstly, go top the file menu and then start hovering over the Utilities option
2.) Thereafter, choose the host multi-user access.
3.) Finally, select Yes to confirm
The below-given steps can help you switch the modes:
1.) Firstly, on the upper left hand corner of the QuickBooks application, click on teh File menu.
2.) Thereafter, click on the option that says “Switch to multi-user mode”
3.) Conversely, when you want to switch to the single user mode, the option will mention “Switch to single user mode”.
Yes, QuickBooks pro and premier version allow the QuickBooks to be accessed by two persons at the same time. All users must be networked and should have their own QuickBooks license. In this, the multiple users are allowed to collaborate together on the same company file.
If you want to switch between the two modes, then you should go to the QuickBooks file menu and then choose one of the two options accordingly; either “switch to single user mode” if you want to switch to single user mode and “Switch to multi-user mode” if you want to switch to multi-user mode.